07 October 19, 2017

Tanglewood Homeowners Association of Sebring, Inc.
Board of Directors Meeting
October 19, 2017

The Board of Directors meeting was called to order by board President, Don Toth at 7:00 P.M. in the Tanglewood rec hall bingo area. He led the Pledge of Allegiances to the flag. Estimated number of residents in attendance was 336. Don began the meeting by thanking everyone for helping their neighbors during and after the Hurricane. Pam Batey was asked to say a prayer of thanks. To reaffirm the HOA purpose, Don read the HOA’s “Mission Statement.” Changes in this month’s meeting was emailed to residents included an Agenda listing three topics open for discussion which were: Meeting with the Attorney, Hurricane/ Roadway Issues, and Statutory Meeting. All dues paying members in good standing were invited to participate by using the sign in sheets provided when entering the building. There will be a time limit and no cross commentary from the audience. Anyone disrupting the meeting will be asked to leave.  All residents are welcome to join the HOA. In the future, agenda items will be emailed to all residents along with being posted on the HOA bulletin board. To save time, the minutes of the last meeting were not read, as our BOD have copies in hand. Roll call was taken by Secretary Pam Batey. Present: Don Toth, Jack Nelson, Pam Batey, Bob Cartwright, Judith Eckstein, Jeff Donde, Charlie Coupe, Tom Guinther. We have a quorum.  Don asked for a motion to accept the September HOA Board meeting minutes.  Jack made the motion, seconded by Judith Eckstein, passed by all Board members. Report of Committees: Don has three committees, Acquisition, Statutory, and Coalition. No report on Acquisition. Don appointed Tom Guinther chair person for the Statutory committee.  Coalition committee will reconvene in 2018.
Presidents Report:  A meeting was held with our attorney to discuss issues of a legal nature that affects all residents in Tanglewood. Subjects discussed: Pass Through Tax, Fiduciary Response of our landlord for the general upkeep of amenities, etc. A letter was sent to Stephen Braun, COO, demanding items of their fiduciary responsibilities. The letter will be read prior to our letter to our attorney. Jack will give a brief history of how we have addressed HTA concerning the upkeep of this property.
Officers Report:
Executive Vice President’s report: Jack Nelson; Nothing to report
Secretary’s report: Pam Batey; Nothing to report at this time.
Treasurer’s report: Bob Cartwright gave the treasurer’s report for the past five months.
April  $1324.58 expenses, $600.00 income
May $2,840.00 expenses, $70.00 income
June $588.53 expenses,  $90.00 income
July $40.00 expenses, $110.00 income
August $0.00 expenses, $70.00 income
Sept $0.00 expenses, $0.00 income
Vests purchased in April were $1,014.37. Other expenses were office supplies.  The starting balance for April was $17,328.30. Total expenses for the period of April thru September was $4,793.11 with a total income of $940.00. The final balance ending Sept. 30, 2017 was $13,475.18.
Other Board Member reports: Nothing to report from other Board members at this date. Board members report acceptance: Judith Eckstein made a motion to accept the Board members reports, seconded by Pam Batey and passed by all Board members.
Agenda 1st Item: Attorney letters: Don discussed the meeting with our attorney in April 2017. One of which was the fiduciary responsibilities of HTA. As a result, a visit from our attorney, Brandon Craig, was arranged. He was shown all of the concerns and took photos resulting in a letter sent to Stephen Braun, COO, May 1, 2017 to HTA with the demands. Don read the letter from the lawyer to HTA.  He listed the completion of areas to date and spoke of the letter HTA had received in September 2016. The letter Gena Paugh sent to us this summer, stated they had hired an engineer from HTA to do a study on the roadways in all their parks and Tanglewood was scheduled for this fall.  Since then, Hurricane Irma swept through and everything stopped. The breakup of our roadways is due to the infrastructure of our road drainage system. A contractor is on site working on repairing drainage system. This must be completed before any work on the roadways begins. The attorney meeting on April 17th discussed the pass through charges on the 2017 rent. The attorney stated under Florida statues, it was legal for them to do it. For 2018 rent increases, our attorney now has all the information and we are waiting on his response. Tom made a motion to accept the report as presented and seconded by Bob Cartwright and passed by all board members.
Agenda 2nd item:  Hurricane/Roadways: presented by Jack Nelson who had enlarged photos taken of the pipes underground.  He gave a chronological order of how the roadways have deteriorated over the past five years. Our roads have never received a seal coat. They should have been sealed every 3 years. An engineer is currently correcting Whistle Stop’s hole.  We have been doing everything legally and monetarily that is possible and was addressed months before the hurricane.  Two members had signed up to talk about the roadways. Both stated their questions had been answered. Motion by Tom Guinther to accept the information Jack presented on the roadways, second by Judith Eckstein, so carried.
Agenda 3rd item:  Statutory Committee chairman Tom Guinther spoke of the rent increase for 2018. We have 30 days to submit our disagreement with HTA on the rent increase.  A statutory committee will be formed. Tom gave a history of the financial situation.  We need more members to join. Under 723, a Statutory committee is the only way we can meet with HTA and put forth our complaints about rent increases. After a two meetings with HTA, if we’re not satisfied with the results, the HOA will be legally allowed to take HTA to mediation. To enter mediation requires a 51% consensual vote of all home owners in the community by November. Tom made a motion to convene a statutory committee with himself as chair, with the ability to authorize the membership committee. Jack seconded, passed unanimously. No further questions from the board.  The motion on the floor to form a Statutory committee passed.
Unfinished business: None
Old business: None
New business: Jay Etherton submitted his resignation to the Board of Directors and was accepted. He now works for HTA in Home Sales. Don complemented Jay for his work as a director on the board. He thanked Jay for all he had done for the HOA and wished him and Robin the best in their new endeavors working for HTA.
Other statements from the board; Secretary, Pam Batey spoke about the upcoming board vacancies and how to apply for a position on the board. She also informed the residents of the Special Needs Forms Provided by the Health Department, available at the back of the room.
Don asked for a motion to close the meeting at 8:35 P.M. Pam Batey made the motion, seconded by Bob Cartwright and passed by all Board members. Meeting adjourned.

Respectfully submitted
Pam Batey –Secretary