08 November 15, 2017

 Tanglewood Homeowners Association of Sebring, Inc.
Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
November 15, 2017

The Board of Directors meeting was called to order by Don Toth at 7:00 P.M. in the Tanglewood rec hall bingo area. Don Toth led the Pledge of Allegiances to the flag.  Estimated number of residents in attendance was 220.  To reaffirm the HOA purpose, President Don Toth read the HOA’s “Mission Statement” and reminded the members they would not be reading the minutes of the last meeting in order to save time.  All directors had a copy and, once approved, would be posted.  Roll call was taken by Executive VP Jack Nelson. Present: President, Don Toth, Executive Vice President, Jack Nelson, Vice President, Merritt Wiley Treasurer, Bob Cartwright, Directors; Judith Eckstein, Charlie Coupe, Tom Guinther, Janet Peterson, and Jeffery Donde. Secretary Pam Batey excused absence.  Jack announced we have a quorum.
Don invited Jay Etherton, Tanglewood Home Sales, to speak on behalf of HTA about the home sales. Jay discussed Tanglewood Home Sales plan to “sell a lifestyle and the park”; to find ways to promote the park itself as a whole which, in turn should increase the value of homes.
Don Toth asked for a motion to accept the October HOA Board meeting minutes. Jack Nelson made a motion to accept the minutes; it was seconded by Judith and passed by all Board members.
Report of Officers and Committees:
President’s report: Don Toth Chairman of Acquisition is on hold for now.  Chairman of Coalition; will continue meeting with other parks once our legal issues have concluded with HTA. Don reviewed a short portion of what was discussed with our attorney in April 2017. The results of which a letter was sent to Stephen Braun, COO of HTA requesting HTA hold up to their fiduciary responsibilities.
Secretary’s report: Pam Batey – Absent. Pam will give an update next month on Hurricane Relief Project /Special Needs Program.
Treasurer’s report:  Bob Cartwright – treasurer’s report for the month of October 2017. Account opened with $13,475.19 and closed with $13,475.19.  No Deposits were made or expenses incurred. Dues paid will go into next month’s report. Bob reminded everyone we are required by law to send all home owners a dues notice.  If you have already paid, then disregard the notice. For those new members who paid their dues for 2017 and 2018 and have not received a vest, there are some still available.
Amenities Committee: Director, Charlie Coupe began by welcoming everyone to the biggest amenity in Tanglewood. He gave a report of the history of amenities over the years, and the current process.  The amenities are things we see and activities we enjoy.
Part 1 History:  In 2006 upon arriving in Tanglewood there were beautiful fountains, shrubs and flowers, winding roads, huge club house, tennis courts, well-kept resident homes and lawns. It remained the same for three years.  Although, there were numerous residents who experienced problems with roof leaks which continued through 2009. HTA now acquired Tanglewood and refused to repair the roofs since they were out of warrantee. The roof installer had gone out of business, building dept. did nothing. The park was degrading slowly with amenities and common property, yet the rent kept increasing. In 2012, Don Toth and a few friends formed a Homeowners Association to legally challenge HTA of the issues affecting the residents. An email data base became the way to communicate with the residents.  Since that time, three park managers continued to allow the park to degrade.  The HOA formed the Amenity Committee which consisted of volunteers who monitored the whole park. They maintain records of issues and reported to HTA. Over the next three years critical areas of the park were not being maintained. Excuses of equipment breaking, not enough help, not in the budget, or planned for the future. During the summer of 2016 we hired a lawyer to look over the park concerning areas of health, safety, and security and maintenance. A formal letter of complaint was given to HTA showing they were in violation of statute 723. Within weeks things started to change, with improvements all around. It is our determination to put pressure on HTA to maintain our amenities as written.
Part 2 Current Process:  Specific Areas listed with Management Response will be posted on the bulletin board.The board members meet monthly with Manager, Tammy Martin, discussing these and other issues of concern. Recently, she was informed of landscaping that used to be at the entrance with colorful flowers and other places that are currently lacking.  With the help of VP Merritt Wiley producing photos of original landscaping, flowers have since been purchased to replace what had been removed.
Comments and Suggestions committee: Director, Janet Peterson; New forms to be printed for Comments and Suggestions.  She explained the process for using the forms; urging members to sign their name to be contacted to report back their findings on the situation. Janet thanked Judith for taking over during the summer keeping up with the forms. Janet read the reports beginning with October’s list. All comments and responses will be posted on the bulletin board.  It is up for discussion by the board and committee, whether to disregard any forms that were not signed, which is what most committees do.  She asked for the members to give their opinion by using the drop box.
Resales and rentals committee: Director, Judith Eckstein  Judith reported she would combine the comments she received over the summer while covering for Janet Peterson. They will also be listed on the HOA bulletin board.
Sales for homes: Director, Judith Eckstein. Four Star is still selling homes here as are Florida Mobile Homes On Sale, Tanglewood Home Sales, and other agents as well as home owners themselves. Last reports given: Florida Mobile Homes (March –May) three homes sold $67,000, 19 listings, and average list price 43,300. Four Star (thru June) nineteen homes sold high $90,000, average $37,000, and average listing $53,000. Tanglewood Home Sales (July –October) 10 homes sold, highest $87,000, average sales $42,400, 36 listings, and average list $60,600. Judith has since requested HTA give her a report of each house sold and for how much. She will report on home sales during the December meeting.
Agenda Item 1 – Safety, Roadways, Gates, Construction:
Jack Nelson, Executive VP/Chairman SAFETY: Jack spoke of the need for reflective vests clothing for walkers, also flashlights, bicycles, etc. danger of walking your dogs on a longer leash.   Roadways: Excavation Point is working on the roads. HTA has given Tammy permission to add additional road problems to the contract as it occurs. The HOA asked to be a part of this and were assured to be informed and able to talk to them.  Construction:  Another area in Whistle Stop has occurred and several homes in this area have pipes to be repaired. Excavation Point is the company doing repairs but this will take time. GATES:  Jack met with Manager, Tammy Martin last week discussing the Transponder System. He reminded members about hitting their clickers too soon and too often.  Jack described the transponder’s capabilities. Our current equipment will work with minor adjustments.  Management is waiting on quotes from installer.
Agenda Item 2 – Statutory Committee, Mediation, Assistant Communications:
Tom Guinther, Director/Chairman: Tom gave a history of our increase in lot rent.  The signed contract is superseded by Florida Statute 723, which says lot rents must be reasonable and based upon the current economic conditions. Tom clarified the set course of action in detail.  The Statutory Committee is required to obtain 51% of the home owner’s authorization to file for mediation. We are beginning tonight, and will continue for the next few weeks until we have at least 51% of the home owner’s signatures authorizing us to file for mediation. Statutory Committee’s first meeting with HTA is Dec 6, 2017.
Agenda Item 3 – Nominations & Elections committee/ Directory Web site:
Merritt Wiley, VP.: Tom Guinther was asked by Merritt Wiley to be Chair over Nominations & Elections. Tom defined the nominating committee requirements which consisted of one board member and 2 non-board members. Their responsibility is to review the resumes/applications for openings on the board of Directors. If more applications are accepted and approved, than are positions open, a formal election will take place in February 2018. Tom asked for volunteers interested in joining the nominating committee, preferably whom he did not know, to speak with him immediately following the meeting. Phone Directory – Merritt Wiley, VP/Chairman – The 2018 phone directory is being updated for printing by PCI. The closing date for any changes to the director is December 1, 2017. There will be two changes made to the 2018 directory. The numerical section will be reorganized from a community listing by street number to a consecutive numerical order by street number. A new section will be added for the Outback RV campground. Our Tanglewood Art League will provide the art work for the front cover of the 2018 directory. The Art League has asked all their members to submit an original photo, drawing or painting for the contest. The submitted art work will be judged by the Art League members. The winner of the contest will be announced at the December HOA meeting. There is no cost for the directory. One will be delivered to each household. We are looking for volunteers to help distribute the phone directory.
Committee/Officers report acceptance:  Jack made a motion to accept the committee/officer reports, seconded by Bob Cartwright and passed by all Board members.
Unfinished business: None
Old business: There are numerous Reflective Vests left over from last year. We will be distributing them to new members and offering to sell what is left over.
New business:  None
President Don Toth asked for a motion to close the meeting.  Exec VP Jack Nelson made a motion to close the meeting; it was seconded by Director Judith Eckstein and passed by all Board members. Meeting Adjourned. Don Toth asked for comments and discussion from the floor. One member response…to be addressed at the December board meeting.

Respectfully submitted
Pam Batey –Secretary BOD