11 – Minutes December 18, 2013

Tanglewood Homeowners Association of Sebring, Inc.
Sebring, FL. 33872

Board of Directors Meeting Minutes for December 18, 2013

The Board of Directors held its monthly meeting on December 18, 2013 at 10:00 am in the Bingo area of the Clubhouse. President Don Toth led the Pledge of Allegiance and the meeting called to order. The estimated number of residents present was 270.
To reaffirm the HOA purpose, Don Toth read the Association’s Mission Statement., and reminded the meeting that all residents are welcome whether they are paid or unpaid members. If there are any questions or concerns, we will open the floor at the end of the meeting for discussion.
Roll call was taken by Nancy Gallagher, Secretary for the meeting, and a quorum established. Present were Directors Don Toth, Jack Nelson, Bob Cartwright, Jerry Callen, and Nancy Gallagher. Directors Merritt Wiley and George Weyrauch were excused from this meeting.
Don Toth asked for a motion to accept the November 20, 2013 HOA Board meeting minutes. Jack Nelson made a motion to accept the minutes; it was seconded by Bob Cartwright and passed by all Board members.
New Business: The resignations of Bill Evans and Garland Wampler, two founding members of the Board of Directors, were announced. They were thanked for all of their hard work as members of the board and will be missed. The resignations were effective December 2 and December 4 respectively and accepted by the board.
President’s Report: The Board and its Committees work diligently for the community and we are seeing a result of these efforts. Significant changes have been made including improving the condition of the park, and improvements to the amenities we are entitled to and what we are paying for. We have been successful in many areas with the help of 60 people working on the Board and various committees and we are always looking for volunteers for committee and board positions.
Contrary to false information, at the November 20, 2013 meeting, it was reported that a letter was being sent to all members of the Outback. It has been reported by those residents that the rentals are out of order, illegal, exorbitant, and not acceptable. At a meeting with Rick Sellers, these lease changes are out of the hands of the Park Manager. They are dictated by Hometown America. The Board has requested a meeting with Gena Paugh, the District Manager. Members of the Board will select people with the most concern to attend the meeting. There are 118 homes and they will be represented at this meeting. BOD will determine who will attend this meeting. This situation in the Outback is being documented and we will seek legal advice to determine what to do now.
Coalition meetings reviewed by Don Toth. Nine of the 13 HTA parks have Homeowner’s Associations. Representatives of 6 of these parks met in spring, and 5 parks attended a meeting in September, which we hosted. We disclosed these meetings to Gena who already knew about the group. This is not an entity with officers or any other formality. It is just a group of people exchanging ideas.
This is the Association’s second year and we need your support: volunteers for committees & board positions. Dues have not been raised, but there is a line for additional donations. Dues statements have been sent and the Post Office had a problem which Bob Cartwright will discuss further.
Vice President Report: Jack Nelson reported the outback situation is unique and will take a lot of work. HTA previously defined lot types and now has added a Motorport lot. We will address this at the next meeting with HTA. Web page: Jack will start making it more active and more things will be added. Legislation is in committee to amend §723.059. Rents are being increased to new owners upon the sale of homes. The increase allowed will be a one-time adjustment and must be based on CPI. Rents in all of the HTA parks are CPI except Tanglewood. Jack will follow up with conversations with Senator Grimsley & Representative Pigman. All residents are encouraged to write letters to encourage their support for this amendment. By way of the coalition, we will ask other parks to write to their Senators and Representatives to support this bill. The coalition represents approximately 30,000 mobile home owners.
Secretary’s Report: No Report
Treasurer’s report: Bob Cartwright gave the treasurer’s report for the month of November. Beginning balance for November 1, 2013 was $3,688.04. Deposits made were $3,456.30 with total expenses of $72.30. Ending balance as of November 30, 2013 was $7,072.04. Bob went on to report the Post Office Box has become inconvenient with a costs $88.00 a year. The Board got permission to take over one of the vacant boxes in the Outback, and the address for the HOA will be changed. Tanglewood owns the boxes, and there was a $50.00 fee for the Post Office to change the lock. This one-time fee will save the Association the annual post office box rental and the Board approved the change. Jack Nelson made a motion to accept the Treasurer’s report, seconded by Jerry Callen and passed by all Board members.
Other Board Member reports: Nothing to report.
Jerry Callen made a motion to accept the Treasurer’s report, seconded by Nancy Gallagher and passed by all Board members.
Don Toth asked for Committee Reports:
Suggestions & Comments Committee and Amenities: Jerry Callen is the Board Liaison for this seven member committee. Jerry Callen asked for a report from the committee. Janet Peterson and Jim Child reported on the recent activity of the committee and spoke of specific rules violations. Comments from this committee are very important to Management and are in full support their efforts.
Jim Child reported (a) Home prices continue to rebound to some extent but the $20,000 sign at the entrance will not be changed at this time. Price of homes is fast approaching $40,000. The original sign was $70,000 to $100,000. (b) Motor homes in the streets in violation of the rules and regulations: 48 hours limit, and boats in driveways and carports. (c) Common area between homes is owned by HTA and weeds and vines have overgrown the area and is beginning to encroach over half of a resident’s back yard. The manager refuses to have the maintenance done by park employees. (d) Food vendor: Positive comments, but residents have complained that the park rating could be negatively affected by the sight of a food truck. (e) Yard lamp post at a vacant home. Light has been out for several months and will be repaired before the end of the year.
Property rents committee: No Report
George Weyrauch is the Board Liaison for this committee working with Richard Whatley and Nancy Gallagher.
Re-sales and rentals committee: Bill Rulie: Reggie Maxom reported that 98 homes are listed: 79 homes closed and 15 are under contract. All will be closed by the end of this month. Reggie stated that there should not be any sign at the gate specifying an amount for the homes for sale. Purchasers will be coming into the sales office asking to see the $20,000 home that is advertised at the gate. He will complete a “Suggestions and Comments” form for removal of the sign and submit it to the committee.
Acquisitions committee: Don Toth reported that no offer has been made to purchase the park, but we need to stay on top of it so they don’t sell it out from under us.
Safety Committee: Charlie Athorn was absent, but he has sent a proposal to Rick regarding the improvement of the gates.
Jack Nelson: Night walking: be sure to wear light colored clothing and carry a proper light.
Outside Vendors Committee: Jack Nelson Board Liaison. Ray Daymen, Chairman reported:
Met with park manager Rick Sellers about policies & procedures regarding outside vendors coming into the park to do work. HTA is only concerned about the contractors who work for them. Homeowners may use any vendor they choose. The committee intends to establish guidelines for the homeowner: what questions should be asked; what documents you should ask for.
Nominations and Elections committee: Merritt Wiley. No report was given in his absence.
Statutory Committee: Don Toth reported that we have had basic meetings with HTA Management. We have not had a formal statutory committee with HTA and our lawyer because of the expense.
Communications Committee: Bob Cartwright had nothing to report.
Unfinished business: There was no unfinished business.
Old business: There was no old business.
Other New business: We have two vacancies on the board. One person has come forward: Charlie Coupe has volunteered to work on the board. He has been working for the board with community distribution for some time. Charlie elected to serve on the board until the next election of directors. Don Toth asked for a vote from the board to place Charlie Coupe on the Board. All Board members present at the meeting voted yes except Bob Cartwright.
That being all of the business to come before the Board, Jerry Callen moved that the meeting be adjourned. The motion was seconded by Jack Nelson and passed unanimously.

Respectfully submitted,

Nancy Gallagher, Secretary for the meeting